Thursday, September 29, 2011

Is this real life???

I swear, these kids say the CRAZIEST things! With everything that happens, I've lost track of all the times I've said "I NEVER thought that could happen in real life!"
Unfortunately, there have been a few unhappy crazy stories like that, but more often than not the stories are funny/awkward!

--Student: "Miss W, I just really want this rain to stop. It's annoying, and it really messed up your hair!"

--Same Student: "Miss W, I'm going to Chicago this weekend!"
Miss W: "I remember you telling me that yesterday, I can't wait to hear all about it!"
Student: "I want you to come too, Miss W! You can come with me, my dad, [another student], and his mom!"
Other Student: "And my mom's boyfriend and his daughter!"
Student: "Please, Miss W?"
Miss W: "Uhhhh, I'm sorry, I'm going to have to pass... but have fun!"

--Same Student: [Reaching arms around his back & up to his shoulder blades.] "This hurts."
Miss W: "So don't do it."
Student: "No, it hurts good! Here, feel it Miss W!"
Miss W: "No thanks, [Student], go back to your seat and do your work!"
(I am SO glad Miss B was there to witness that one, too, that was way too awkward to handle alone!!!)

--Different Student: "Some people from my church are coming to my house tonight."
Miss W: "Oh, that's cool, why?"
Student: "To bless my house."
Miss W: "...What are they doing?"
Student: "They're coming to bless my house, that way they can get rid of the ghosts!"
Miss B: "There are ghosts in your house??? How do you know?"
Student: "My mom has an app on her phone that tells you when there's a ghost and what its name is. We have two, their names are [?] and [?]!"


I swear, the things that come out of their mouths...
Anyway, work was pretty rough for awhile, because I was still trying to get used to the new procedures and whatnot, but this week things have progressively gotten better!
I know what group of kids I'll be working with for a reading intervention, and I have more specific kids to work with in small groups during math.
Usually the computers teacher takes charge during lunch and recess duty, but he's doing MAP testing with the kids, so a sub has been taking his place. Since I haven't been taking charge as much, I've stepped up a little more, so that the librarian isn't left to do all the talking. It's given me more confidence, which is great! Especially for a day like today, when I was with 2 subs on lunch duty today, so I had to be the take-charge one. It was a good feeling to realize that I have enough of a grasp on everything to keep things running smoothly! ;-)

Finally, and most excitingly (for me), I volunteered to coordinate the math competition for 4th grade! I guess they do it every year, but this year none of the 4th grade teachers volunteered, so I was happy to step up! Unfortunately, I didn't get my password for the website until yesterday, and the contest is 2 weeks from today! I'm still supposed to plan study sessions and get permission slips from the kids and register them on the website and everything, so it was late notice... but it gives me something to do. I printed out the practice packets, and these questions are hard! I tried them all myself, then looked at the answer keys, and I got 2 wrong! One of them I knew I didn't know, so I'd been enlisting the help of some other staff, and we could not figure it out... rough. Totally fun, though :-D

That's about it from the first-year TA, though! Hopefully doing this contest will be a step in helping me get my own classroom next year!!! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment