Monday, November 14, 2011

We're Marchin' On, We're Marchin' On...

The days are blending together. A lot has happened, as usual, but I can't remember most of it, so here's the brief update.

I'm up and down with how I feel during work. The people are great, but I'm still getting bored occasionally, and I never feel like I'm doing quite enough. Miss B says I'm fine, though, and she appreciates everything I'm doing. Unfortunately, every time the principal walks by, I feel like it looks like I'm not doing anything! Let me recap this:
1) He walks by as I'm looking at my phone for a sec in the hallway. What he doesn't know: I'd just worked through my break to help out another teacher and was going to the next classroom for my next assignment.
2) He walks by during my SRA group as I'm once again checking my phone. What he doesn't know: Since there's no clock where I do my group, I have to keep an eye on the time so that I don't run more than 10 minutes into my lunch time (which is a frequent occurrence due to the starting time of my group and the length of the scripted lessons).
3) He walks in the room during the Halloween party (AKA fall celebration) while I'm standing on the side talking to one of the other 4th grade teachers. What he doesn't know: In the first 10 minutes of the celebration I'd organized our room's event since the parent volunteer didn't show up, and explained it to each new group of kids since the late parent volunteer didn't want to actually do anything except help the kids glue.

So yeah... I feel like I always want to be like "I'm working, I swear!!!" Oh well.
I'm SO glad I have an SRA Corrective Reading group, it makes the morning fly by! I've added things to my SRA group to hopefully give the kids even more extra help: while I'm writing on the board, and while I'm Progress Monitoring on Fridays, I create packets for the kids that are full of mostly fun worksheets to reinforce the concepts we're working on in SRA; I also have word games for them to play instead of doing the packets, if they want to spend 5 bonus points. The games are fun! I have sight word "I have, Who has?" and sight word BINGO, plus word searches and Scrabble Slam! It's all good for them to work with, since their main problem is reading a word with just a vowel or an ending wrong - they have most of the reading thing down. :-)
The math contest went pretty well, I even got to present the certificates at the 4th/5th grade awards ceremony! Problem: no mic. The back couldn't hear me, lol. Oh well, it was a good experience!
I've gotten to substitute for an hour a few times, which is always fun!! I love being able to do that, since it means I'm not just on the sidelines helping out! Twice in a diff. 4th grade class while the teacher was learning how to teach Extended Response, once in the 4th grade class I'm usually in while Miss B had an appt., and 3 or 4 times in different 1st grade classes! Love that!

Miss B is having a girl!!! While she was gone (finding out if she was going to have a girl or boy) and I was subbing, I had the kids sign two cards: one that said "It's a boy!" and another that said "It's a girl!" When she came back the next day I had the "It's a girl!" one on her desk :-) Super fun!

I think that's about it for my brief (haha) update! The kids still say crazy things, but I can't keep track of it all...
Here's just one: [Miss B was teaching about the Boston Tea Party] "The colonists were upset about all the taxes, so they took the tea off a boat and threw it overboard!"
[Student] Well God Bless America!
;-)
Adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment